In 2020, 14 thrilled Aussies scored a division one Powerball prize, collectively taking home more than $470.13 million in prize money.
From debuting a new set of teeth, to planning a trip of a lifetime to Las Vegas, 2020’s Powerball winners spent their year playing by their own rules thanks to their multi-million dollar wins.
We can't wait to see who will win in 2021, and hear their plans for their windfalls!
|State||2020 Powerball division one wins||Total division 1 prize money|
|New South Wales||5||$180,142,934.50|
The record for the largest single winning Powerball entry is $107 million when a single entry won the entire division one prize on 17 January 2019.
The advertised jackpot amount was $100 million, but due to the strong number of entries purchased in the draw, the final division one prize was boosted to a phenomenal $107,575,649.08!
This jackpot was won by a Sydney mum who first thought she had won just $107,000.
The winner told us she wouldn’t be retiring because she was so passionate about her job in the healthcare industry. She planned to share her money with her family and donate a large chunk to charity.
2020 - A Caloundra woman started off her year with a $60 million Powerball win in February.
2019 – $107 million Powerball record was set the for single biggest jackpot win. The prize was won by a Sydney mum who first thought she had won $107,000.
2018 - $50 million won by a young Canberra man who admitted to not sleeping a wink that night after checking his online entry before bed and discovering he was the sole division one winner.
2017 - $55 million Powerball prize was won by a syndicate of Queensland Government workers.
2016 - Prior to the $107 milllion win in January 2019, the record for the biggest single Powerball jackpot win was $70 million. The prize was won by grandparents from Hervey Bay who say they've never won anything more than a chook raffle.
To win division one in Powerball you need to match all seven winning numbers plus the Powerball number.
A PowerHit entry is a special type of entry that guarantees you the all-important Powerball number, increasing your changes of winning the division one prize.
Learn how to play a PowerHit entry in this video.
1. In each game of Powerball, players must correctly choose the seven winning numbers drawn from a set of 1-35 as well as one number (the Powerball) from a set of numbers from 1-20.
2. There are nine prize divisions with division one offering the advertised jackpot prize.
3. The guaranteed first division jackpot amount is based on the prize pool accumulated over the jackpot roll, plus the projected level of interest expected for the draw. The more people who play in turn boosts the prize amount they can win.
4. Powerball is drawn every Thursday night after 7:30pm (AEST).
5. Winning numbers can be checked at thelott.com and the draw is televised on 7TWO on the night of the draw.
|WINNING DIVISION||NUMBERS TO WIN|
|1st Division||7 Numbers + Powerball|
|2nd Division||7 Numbers|
|3rd Division||6 Numbers + Powerball|
|4th Division||6 Numbers|
|5th Division||5 Numbers + Powerball|
|6th Division||4 Numbers + Powerball|
|7th Division||5 Numbers|
|8th Division||3 Numbers + Powerball|
|9th Division||2 Numbers + Powerball|